If you’re planning your trip in the wilderness it is vital to think about the night time. Even if you’re not thinking of camping, you must take into consideration that when on unknown territory anything can happen and you may have to spend the night with the wild animals. It’s not always a full moon so you will need a reliable flashlight.
When buying anything at all, the first thing you think about is your particular necessity; when buying a torch take into consideration the natural contexts where you will have to use it:
- whether your habitual trips are in open spaces or forests, sights where you would profit from an extra wide, long beam of light;
- caves: which have both wide but mostly small spaces, so a multi-mode option or zoom lens would be more suitable as you don’t want to be blinded by high luminosity reflected from the walls around you and you’d especially be happy with a good ability to focus in one concentrated beam in a point, considering the very narrow crevices and the immense variety of unique forms of stalactites and stalagmites that you usually enjoy in similar precincts;
- conditions that compel you not to perturb other people either the fauna around or recurrent moments when you’d better get along with a very small light intensity, like when you’re checking a map: you can choose one that has red light mode, which is considerably less disturbing though bright enough;
- an area populated with predators that might be taken by surprise and attack you: a good deter would save you; the one thing you can do with a good flashlight is blind and disorient the animal but for this the flashlight must have an extra bright focused beam and a stroboscope function mode; not to mention the life and death situations when the animal is actually charging and any weapon would make a difference, a flashlight with a brezel patterned top would make a decent self-defense method;
- unknown remote places where you might get lost or situations when you might become stranded without the possibility of going any further: you would have to signal for help and here a torch with an SOS mode or even just a strobe would be appreciated
- if it’s high humidity or shallow rain: your flashlight doesn’t have to be completely waterproof but has to resist to a few drops;
- a river kayaking experience where everything gets soaking wet or a bit of diving to look around the bottom of a not too deep river, the surroundings of an underground lake: circumstances where you’d even have to submerge your torch and expose it to shocks and water pressure;
- if you’re going hunting, fishing, camping or other cases when it’s favorable to have it fixed on the object (attached to a boat, to a fire gun or maybe hanged as a lamp in a tent): there are different types of body features dedicated especially to this;
- then comes the question of time, meaning battery life: how long do you plan on using it till changing the batteries? Maybe you need an energetically economic flashlight. Will you have the possibility to recharge batteries? You’d benefit from a charger and a cover with special compartments;
Any particular need can be satisfied by a specific product out there. There are different types of grips, levels of shock resistance, even flashlights with bodies that can be easily handled by children, maybe you want one with a single multi-button or maybe you want the button to glow in the dark. The only thing is to be aware of your needs.
The main features of a flashlight, besides size and weight, the body design and special interior structure or part catchment, are:
- Luminosity: measured in lumens. The Cree LED technology has become a standard on the market, being remarkably more efficient, as LEDs can last with 100.000 hours more than traditional incandescent bulbs;
- Battery type and battery efficiency: most used batteries are the common AA or AAA, being the cheapest but also the less reliable alternative on the market in terms efficiency, still a good option because you can find them in virtually any store in the world and of course you can use rechargeable ones / CR123 is the more advanced and more expensive choice / Lithium Ion batteries are the most efficient and also the most high-priced and are the safest if your flashlight is going to remain unused for long periods of time – they’re actually the single ones that will keep working even after 10 years and that will not deteriorate your flashlight if left in standby like this;
- Beam type: flood (wide) / spot (focused) / adjustable
- Of course, the multiple mode settings that we’ve discussed above that refer to light intensity, color and intermittence: low / medium / high / red light / stroboscope / SOS
- Body material: the strongest and more time resistant material used is machined aluminum, that weighs little and is secured from shocks and scratches.
You are invited to check out this list of flashlights, best options on the market with regard to capacities, innovative unique features and design, applicability, cost efficiency:
Top Rechargeable Flashlights
Smith & Wesson Galaxy 13 LED Flashlight
Weight: 6.1 ounces
Size: 7 inches length, 1.5 inches diameter
Body material: Anodized aluminum (holster included)
- Power – 25 lumens white LED bulbs / 6.5 lumens red LED bulbs
- Battery type – 3 AAA batteries (included)
- Battery life – 30 hours of white light / 80 hours of red light
- Beam distance – over a mile
- Dual power switch – different buttons for white and red light
Best use: hikers, campers, star gazers, pilots, drivers, soldiers, home-use
Description: The Smith & Wesson Galaxy 13 Flashlight offers the dual possibility of using both bright white light that provides a true color spectrum for anytime use and red light for night-time vision in situations when the white intensity could interfere with your specific activity or blind other people in your proximity.
The beam is fixed – no wideness or brightness adjustments possible. The flashlight is equipped with a safety mode that keeps it from switching on accidentally.
Though lower in intensity, the 3 LED red light is powerful enough to be spotted from afar if signaling an emergency, while also offering the user the necessary luminosity if checking a map, following a road or searching through a house in case of a power outage.
The use of different buttons for white and red LED provides an easy and fast maneuverability. The LEDs and also the buttons are lifetime guaranteed, meaning that in the case of malfunction the flashlight will be replaced by the manufacturer.
The body of the flashlight is from sturdy aluminum and is designed with a grip to better hold it; the structure material is strong, while the knob glass is scratch proof. Its holster is not of water-proof material, though it resembles to be, so it cannot be kept in the rain or immersed in water, but it can hold a few drops and a lower level of humidity.
It also comes with a belt loop and an extra Velcro strap that secures the catchment, as well as a separate compartment for 3 extra batteries.
350 Lumen “Bonfire X” LED Flashlight, Tactical
Weight: 4.5 ounces
Size: 5.4 inches length, 1.4 inches diameter
Body material: Anodized aluminum (o-ring sealed; with clap attached)
- Power: 350 lumens
- EZ twist ring for precision zoom – focus on spot over 100 yards distance
- 2 Modes and strobe – full power / low power / stroboscope flashing
- Battery type: 3 AAA batteries (included) or one single 18650 battery with included alternate adapter
- Bulb life – over 100,000 hours
Best use: hunters, guards, police, soldiers, campers, hikers, home-use
Description: The 350 Lumen “Bonfire X” flashlight is very reliable in terms of battery consumption, due to its Creed LED technology and also the low mode, that you can switch when the brightest intensity is not needed, in order to save battery life.
The Strobe Mode is one useful feature in case of emergency signaling. The zoom can be adjusted by twisting the ring and it creates a focused beam with very clear edges.
Its body is designed to be shockproof and also weatherproof thanks to the o-ring seal that makes it water resistant. The head of the flashlight is fitted with a pointed strike bezel design that makes it handy as a self-defense instrument.
The tactical configuration provides also an easy-to-use clap that can be attached to belts, straps or almost any type of catchment, while its grip and small size provide the possibility to be fixed on weapons, thus this type of flashlight is preferred by hunters, soldiers, guards.
Streamlight Strion LED HL Rechargeable Flashlight
Weight: 5.2 ounces
Size: 5.9 inches length, 1.25 inches diameter
Body material: durable anodized aluminum
- Three modes and stroboscope flash – power:
- High – 500 lumens / 10,000 candela beam intensity;
- Medium – 250 lumens / 5,000 candela beam intensit;
- Low – 125 lumens / 2500 candela beam intensity
- Beam distance: high – 200 meters / medium – 141 meters / low – 100 meters
- Battery: Lithium ion battery rechargeable 1000 times
- Battery life: high – 1 hour / medium – 2 hours / low – 3.5 hours / stroboscope – 2.5 hours
Best use: hunters, soldiers, police, campers, hikers, home-use
Description: The Streamlight 74751 Strion is a powerful flashlight that responds to high brightness and wide beam necessities, providing intense white light over a large area. The 3 mode utility keeps you in control of the battery lifetime, while the strobe mode helps in situations of emergency signaling or disorienting a potential attacker. All functioning modes are operated from a single button. The Lithium Ion battery recharges fully in 3 hours.
In addition, the PiggyBack charger (with a dual power input: USB port and AC/DC charging) can be bought separately for charging a spare battery while still using your flashlight.
The body of this Streamlight Strion is made from 6000 series machined aircraft anodized aluminum, which makes it almost indestructible, moreover, the lenses are of borofloat high-temperature glass – thus configuring a shock and weatherproof item.
The head of the flashlight is designed to prevent rolling over when seated; the body presents a knurled pattern that ensures a safe grip. Due to its small dimensions and provided by its design, the flashlight can be easily attached to fire guns.
Helotex G2 CREE LED Tactical EDC Flashlight
Weight (shipping): 2.4 ounces
Size: 1 inch diameter (when using AA batteries), 3.6 inches (when using CR123 batteries)
Body material: Anodized 6063-T6 aircraft aluminum
- CREE XR Q4 LED
- Dual power capability, running both on AA batteries or CR123 battery
- 2 modes and strobe: high / low / stroboscope flash
- Luminosity: 120 lumens (AA batteries), 130 lumens (CR123 battery)
- Battery life: 1 hour (AA batteries), 2 hours (CR123 battery)
- LED life: more than 50.000 lighting hours
Best use: campers, hikers, home-use, hunters
Description: The Helotex G2 Tactical Flashlight grants 130 lumens and an economic LED life, due to the CREE XR-E Q4 LED technology. It also diminishes the battery consumption, this provided also by the low functioning mode that can be activated when less luminosity is necessary.
The modes are switched by clicking a sensitive button. Once the flashlight is turned off it takes 1 second and afterward at the next on push, the flashlight will automatically go into the high mode.
It’s a light and compact flashlight that is equipped with a pocket clip, all of the design features making it an easy to carry item. Being made of solid aircraft anodized aluminum and with a body corseted with O-rings for weather protection, the Helotex G2 Tactical Flashlight is shock and water proof, an all conditions surviving gadget.
The design and dimensions provide a user-friendly instrument that can be maneuvered safely even by a child, making it a useful addition to any home tool-kit.
Simon Cree Led Flashlight Top LED Tactical Flashlight
Weight (shipping): 5.6 ounces
Size: 5.4 inches length, 1.2 inches diameter, 1.4 inches head diameter
Body material: Anodized black aluminum
- Luminosity: 500 lumens
- Battery: 3 AAA Ni-MH batteries (not included) or a single Rechargeable Panasonic Lithium Ion 18650 battery with PIC (not included)
- Bulb life: 100.000 hours
- 5 modes: high / medium / low / stroboscope / SOS
Description: The Simon Cree Led Flashlight makes use of a Cree LED bulb and is specifically designed as a multi-functional instrument, employed mostly in the law enforcement practice operations – it is preferred due to its adaptability to weapon catchment and also its easy to handle grip when hand held.
The anodized aluminum provides a strong and resistant body. The Flashlight package incorporates an adjustable cord that can be strapped to the wrist, thus making it easy to carry anywhere. Same maneuverability feature is also favored by the ergonomic design.
And its 5 functioning modes contribute to an all-situations type of work necessity. These are switched by a soft touch single rear button.
The flashlight is equipped with 16 adjustable dial setting preferences that offer the user varied options in regard to the beam wideness, serving to focus the light to a tighter or broader area. The multiple battery options are also supporting the multi-functional statement of the Simon Cree Led Flashlight. The rechargeable Lithium Ion battery has a life span of 2-6 hours of continuous use.
Vizeri LED Tactical Flashlight with Focusing Lens
Weight: 3.75 ounces (without batteries)
Size: 4.25 inches length (without extension), 4.75 inches length (with extension) / 1.645 inches diameter (at the thickest)
Body material: Aircraft-grade anodized aluminum
- CREE XML T6 LED or CREE XR-E Q5 LED
- 5 modes: high / medium / low / stroboscope flash / SOS
- Luminosity: 230 lumens for CREE XML T6 LED / 460 lumens for CREE XR-E Q5
- Battery type: 3 AAA batteries or CR123 alkaline battery – suitable for low cost, low mode function (rechargeable batteries can be used) or rechargeable 18650 Lithium Ion batteries –suitable for high mode function (batteries not included)
- Zoom lens
- Beam distance: 300 meters (when zoomed out)
Best use: military, hunting, camping, hiking, home use
Description: Vizeri LED Tactical Flashlight is specially designed for military use, it basic body components making it extremely resistant and sustainable, while also light and easy to handle.
The compact design provides that all components are structured in order to stay fixed despite shocks or vibrations, it is completely waterproof, also stopping corrosion – it can be submerged to 3 feet under water, being able to withstand pressure. This is also secured by the placement of O-rings at the catchment of all components.
The multi-battery option is helpful for saving power, money and also precious time, offering the possibility to recharge one battery while using the other one. The 5 modes available in this flashlight come with a memory function that maintains in stand-by your last used mode till the next utilization.
All of the functions are triggered through a soft push of the tail button; by each push, the next mode can be reached. The zoom can be easily adjusted by rotating the head ring. This flashlight comes with a lamp diffuser that can be placed on top in order to transform it into a proper lamp to be used in tents or other places. Other included accessories are a bike mount, weapon mount, and holster.
SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 Professional Series Flashlight Kit
Weight: 5 ounces
Size: 6.2 inches length, 1.1 diameter (body), 1.5 diameter (top)
Body material: Anodized aluminum
- 5 modes: high / medium / low / stroboscope flash / SOS
- Luminosity: 1200 lumens maximum output
- Battery type: 3 AAA batteries or Lithium Ion battery (spare battery included)
- Zoom lens
- Other accessories included: a three LED solar key chain with mini flashlight
Best use: hunting, camping, hiking, home use
Description: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 Professional Series Flashlight is powered by an Ultra Bright X-L T6 Cree LED technology capable of providing a brilliant white light, while also keeping economic power consumption. The medium and low modes are of use in same purpose.
The zoom lens operates easily the beam concentration adjusting also the distance, thus covering wide areas and in the same time long forward distances. The button used for all functions is placed most familiarly at the bottom.
The flashlight is provided with memory that remembers last utilized mode in order to use it when it’s turned back on. The flashlight design is compact, equipped with a good grip. The body is made up of strong durable aluminum and it is ensured to be water resistant.
The stroboscope and SOS modes come in handy when in need of blinding or signaling an attacker while striking bezel mounted on the head of the flashlight is also a good self-defense instrument.
Related: SOLARAY PRO ZX-2 Professional Series
Nebo 5581 220 Lumen Redline Tactical Flashlight Strobe S.O.S.
Weight: 3.2 ounces
Size: 8 inches length, 1.5 inches diameter
Body material: Anodized aluminum
- 5 modes: low, medium / high / stroboscope flash / emergency stroboscope
- Luminosity: 22 lumens on low / 110 lumens on medium / 220 lumens on high
- Battery type: 3 AAA batteries
- Shockproof and waterproof
- Beam distance: 27 meters on low / 60 meters on medium / 138 meters on high / 138 meters on strobe / 138 meters on SOS
- Battery life: 15 hours on low / 8 hours on medium / 4 hours on high / 72 hours on strobe / 72 hours on SOS
- Glow in the dark on-off button
Best use: hunting, camping, hiking, home use
Description: Nebo Tactical Flashlight is a multi-functional product with 5 modes and also the possibility to adjust the beam. The modes are selected easily by the rear button that uses soft-touch technology.
The stroboscope is activated by clicking the button 4 times, the SOS mode by clicking it 5 times; this simple sequence can be extremely helpful in certain dangerous situations. The bezel design provides self-defense option as well.
The flashlight is equipped with 4 adjustable beam positions: you can turn the bezel clockwise for short range utility and counter clockwise for spotlight at a distance of over 20 yards.
This flashlight is a master of practicality – the glow in the dark rear operating button makes it easy to switch modes while still using it to light up; it also has a magnetic base that allows you to attach it to anything metal and thus being able to work with it without being handheld.
Given the variety of the flashlights presented, you most probably found one that satisfies your requirements and that will not let you down when in need.
But if you’ve considered every aspect and still haven’t found what you’re looking for, you can check out the items that are related to the products listed here and if you come by any better option, we would appreciate if you’d share it with us and thus with other people searching for a similar model.
In the end remember that the wilderness is full of surprises and your senses, even if trained to be awaken and responsive, have suffered eons of genetic transformation since we were all marching through the forests, so an extra preventive attention is required for comfort as well as safety.