Choosing the right fishing rod is often compared to choosing the right pair of shoes. There are so many different sizes and features that you may find it overwhelming to find the right one. You really need to try different combinations before you arrive at your perfect choice.
Today we’ve compiled a list of a few products that are worth trying out when you ae trying to decide on a perfect fit. So read on to find out more about features of popular fishing rods and see if any of them could be suitable for you.
Some Important Considerations
Before we move on to the products, let’s first look at some of the important features to look for when you’re buying a fishing rod.
If you have an idea about what you’re looking for then you’ll be able to choose the perfect one easily
- The best combination of Power, Line weight and Lure weight. You must know the line weight and lure weight that matches the power of your fishing rod. If you know this then, you’ll be able to judge whether the product will be a good choice
- The action: The action is where the rod bends and it would depend on the kind of fish you plan to catch. Fast action rods are good for heavy fishing and slow actions ones can be used to catch smaller species. So it is important to decide on the kind of fish you’ll catch and the action of you fishing rod
- Number of pieces: Fishing rods can be broken down into two or more sections for you to carry around. Telescopic rods can be collapsed to allow you to store them in a bag. You must consider how to intend to carry them and how often you would travel so you could decide which rod to purchase
- The length of the rod: A longer rod will let you cast longer distances while a short one will give you more control and accuracy. A long rod may not be suitable for kids too. So depending on the amount of control you wish to have and the person who would be using the rod, you’ll need to decide on the length you wish to choose.
Take A Look at The Best Fishing Rods
Plusinno Spin Spinning Rod
- Fishing Rod + Reel: Includes one Fishing Rod and one Fishing Reel
- Fishing Full Kit: Includes one Fishing rod, one Fishing reel, Fishing lures, Fishing hooks and other required accessories
- 8 Meters/5.91 feet Full Kit or Rod +Reel
- 1 Meters/6.89 feet Full Kit or Rod + Reel
- 4 Meters/7.87 Feet Full Kit or Rod + Reel
- 7 Meters/8.86 Feet Full kit or Rod + Reel
- 3 Meters/9.84 feet Full Kit or Rod +Reel
- 3 Meters/10.83 Feet Full kit or Rod +Reel
- Line Capacity – 240 Meters, 200 Meters, and 140 Meters
- Instant Anti-Reverse – The rod is equipped with a high strength gear and large line capacity. The gear ratio is 5:2:1
- Portable – The rod is lightweight and easy to collapse which allows you to fit it into your backpack. The bottom of the pole has a small storage spot where you can keep hooks or lures
- Warranty – The rod comes with a 12-month warranty and for any issues, you are advised to contact the Plusinno customer support
Best Use: Plusinno Spin Spinning Rod could be the best combo for a beginner, especially the full kit because you wouldn’t need to buy other equipment along with that one. The kit has just enough accessories to help you start fishing.
One the other hand if you’re opting for the reel and rod combo then you’ll just need to purchase the lures, hooks, and additional accessories. Depending on your circumstances you can choose what works best for you after comparing the prices.
The pole is a mix of carbon fiber and fiberglass which makes it quite durable too. The rod may be a little stiff though and you might have a feeling that it may break off. Some customers who have used it feel that the rod should have been made of stronger material since it’s a telescopic rod.
Again the reel is very easy to operate with a handle that can be fitted depending on whether you are a right handed or left handed person. The major plus is that you can collapse it to a shorter length which will let you carry it around easily in your fishing bag or backpack.
Eagle Claw Pack-It Spin Combo Telescopic Rod
- Fishing Rod + Reel – Includes one Fishing Rod and one Fishing Reel
- 6 Feet Fishing Rod
- Lure Weight – 1/8 – 1/2 oz.
- Line Weight – 4 – 10 lbs
- Pack it Combo – Since this is a telescopic rod it’s easy to carry in your backpack and is light weight
Best Use: Eagle Claw Pack-It Spin Combo fishing rod could be best used freshwater fishing or bass fishing but some of the customers who have purchased this combination are of the opinion that the rod is quite worth the money but the reel is not. Many have suggested to just buy the rod and match it with a better reel. The rod is said to be quite sturdy and even suitable for kids when they are learning to fish.
At the same time, it is said to have broken in half even at the first cast and that it doesn’t fully retract sometimes. Some feel that the reel is too small and also that the line tangles up a lot. Though a few customers have had issues with the rod, the majority opinion is that they did get their money’s worth.
The reel could be bought separately, though. The major highlight is the low price and the rod is said to have performed well enough for it.
Zebco Medium Heavy Spin Cast Fishing Rod and Reel Combo
- Medium Heavy Spin cast Fishing Rod + Reel – Includes one Fishing Rod and one Fishing Reel
- 7 feet fishing rod
- Line Weight – 20 lbs.
- Line Capacity – 90 yards or 82.29 meters
- Multistop Anti-Reverse – The rod comes with a gear ratio of 2:6:1 and a line capacity of 82.29 meters which is also suitable for heavy fishing.
- Auto Bait Alert – The bait alert clicks when the line is grabbed
- Limited Warranty – It comes with a 1-year limited warranty
Best Use: Since the Zebco Medium Heavy Spin is quite heavy, it may not be fit for children or beginners. However, some have mentioned it was great even though they were very new to fishing because it was easy to handle and also sounds an alarm when a fish bites your line.
It could be used to catch heavy fish and can even handle strong water currents. This rod can also be taken apart from the middle which makes it easier to carry around and the reel handle again can be switched to either side for left handed or right handed retrieve.
Among the cons, it’s said that the line gets tangled up too quickly and that the reel may be too large. It may not retrieve soon enough if the fish is heavy and keeps moving. So even though the rod can hold large fish the reel may not be able to retrieve it quickly. It may not be suitable for saltwater fishing either.
Okuma Tundra Surf Glass Spinning Rods
- One medium action spinning rod only
- 10-foot fishing rod with a line weight of 10 – 25 lbs. and lure weight of 3/4 – 2 – 1/2 oz.
- 12-foot rod with a line weight 10 – 30 lbs., and lure weight of 1 – 5 oz.
- 13-foot rod with a line weight of 10 – 30 lbs., and lure weight of 2 – 6 oz.
- 7-foot rod with a line weight of 10 – 30 lbs. and lure weight of 2 – 8 oz.
- 7-foot rod with a line weight of 6 – 15 lbs. and lure weight of 1/4 – 3/4 oz.
- 8-foot rod with a line weight of 10 – 20 lbs. and lure weight of 1/2 – 1 – 1/2 oz.
- Durable – The rods are made of fiberglass but are very durable and tested for quality
- Corrosion Resistant Reel Seat – The reel seat is made of stainless steel and is corrosion resistant
- Warranty – The rods come with a 1-year warranty
Best Use: Most customers have said that Okuma Tundra Surf Glass Spinning Rod definitely lives up to its price but that it does take you some effort to throw. This means it may not work that well if you’re a beginner. It would also give a great casting distance with larger guide diameters which are unlike other surf rods.
The rod is said to be quite heavy with a very heavy action which an average human may not be able to withstand for long. It is also said to corrode easily and some have mentioned that the guides even broke off due to corrosion. This could mean that this rod would not be very good for saltwater fishing.
The major thing you need to note here is that this fishing rod may not be suitable for fishermen who are not very experienced. You may also need to practice quite a lot of times before going fishing so that you have an idea about its weight and action.
Shakespeare Telescoping Spinning Rod
- Telescopic Fishing Rod only
- 6 Foot Ultra-light action telescopic rod
- 6 Foot Medium action telescopic fishing rod
- Telescopic rod – It can be collapsed and stored for travel and backpacking
Best Use: The main advantage with Shakespeare Telescoping Spinning Rod is that it’s lightweight and portable which is usually the case with telescopic rods. Most customers who purchased the rod say that it performs far beyond what it costs since it is very durable and strong. The shorter rod could be very easy for kids to use but might not work so well for adults as it may be a bit small. It’s best for small to medium fish.
However, the rod is not so easy to collapse after a while because it becomes a little hard to push it back down. Another point many have noted is that the 6-foot rod is more of a light action rod rather than a medium action which flexes close to the tip.
These rods may not be very suitable if you are a serious fisherman but could be used by someone who fishes moderately from time to time. The overall opinion is that you do get what you pay for.
Shimano FXC 2 Piece Casting Rod
- Medium Power, Fast Action Casting Rod only
- 6 Foot, medium power fishing rod
- 7-foot medium power fishing rod
- Low price – The rod is said to be one of the cheapest available
- Durable – The rod is quite a good quality one for the price and does not wear off even if you don’t use it often
Best Use: Shimano FXC would be great for a person who is just beginning to fish and wants to start on a low budget. The rod is very durable so it would let you practice very well before you can move on to the high-end ones later on if you feel so.
It is also good for travel because it could fit into the trunk of a small car quite easily and is also good for trolling. This is another fishing rod that would be perfect for kids who are learning to fish. It’s mainly good for light weight lures and when you plan to catch light to medium fish. Though it is strong it may not withstand a large fish.
However, the rod is said to be heavy and uncomfortable to use by a few customers but on a whole, this one lives up to its price too. If you are just looking for a low priced fishing rod when you are learning to fish, this could be a good choice.
Crystal River Fly Fishing Combo Kit
- Fly fishing rod, Reel, Line and two Flies
- 8 Foot 3-piece Fly fishing rod
- 6/7 weight Rod and Reel
- Low price – This rod is quite cheap for a fly fishing rod
- Good for beginners – This combo is great of you are just learning to fish as it comes at a good price and includes everything you need to begin fishing
Best Use: Crystal River Fly Fishing Combo Kit is especially goof for learners as it is quite an inexpensive kit to purchase. You wouldn’t need to buy additional accessories to start practicing either. The rod again can be used till you reduce enough to get a high-end one when you want to. If you are making your purchase with this thought in mind, it could be a great pick.
At the same time, the flies that come with the kit are said to be bad quality and may not even be good to use when you actually go out to fish. They may be just useful when you practice casting for the first time before going fishing. The reel is plastic and performs average. The rod is suitable to catch small to medium fish and would probably not handle a heavy one.
It’s basically the best starter kit for a beginner that would not break the bank. It would be a good option if you are learning the basics of fly fishing would help you gradually make it a hobby.
South Bend Neutron Spin Combo
- Medium action Rod + Reel – one Fishing Rod and one Fishing Reel
- 6 Foot spinning rod
- Size 10 1BB Reel
- Low price – This combo is another one that is available at a comparatively cheap rate
- Durable – For its price, the rod and reel combo is very durable and doesn’t break off that quickly
Best Use: This Rod and Reel combination are yet again suitable for kids and beginners. Like we mentioned before, South Bend Neutron Spin Combo is cheap and durable which are the two important traits you would consider when you are a novice. It is said to be a great rod with a light action that can be used to catch small to medium fish. It is also said to hold quite well when ice fishing too.
The rod may be short and so you would not be able to cast longer distances. The line could also tangle up quickly which might make it difficult at times.
The combo would serve well as a beginner’s kit which could be used for practice till you want to upgrade to more expensive gear. If you just want to teach your kids to fish or want to take up fishing as a hobby, you could start with this rod and reel combination.
So those are popular products you could try when you are still trying to find the fishing rod and reel that is best suited to your needs.
The list we have out together does not include expensive products so you could try them out without spending much. It is always best to try using a product by yourself so that you can actually experience how it feels. You could again think of it as trying on a pair of shoes before you decide if you like it or not.